APSN Banner

East Timor

Displaying 1401-1450 of 9094 Documents

Views Default View  Tile View  List View    Help

September 26, 2017

Bernama - September 26, 2017

Beijing – Chinese Premier Li Keqiang on Monday extended congratulations to Mari Alkatiri on his election as Timor-Leste's prime minister, China's Xinhua news agency reported.

September 25, 2017

Netral News - September 25, 2017

Kupang – A total of 13,000 ex-East Timorese residents proposed eight demands to the Indonesian government through the East Nusa Tenggara (NTT) Provincial Government during a demonstration at Jalan El Tari Kupang in front of the NTT governor's office.

Channel News Asia - September 25, 2017

Singapore – Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong has written to Timor-Leste's Prime Minister Mari Alkatiri To congratulate him on his appointment, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a media release on Monday (Sep 25).

September 20, 2017

The Diplomat - September 20, 2017

Khoo Ying Hooi – Led by Mari Alkatiri, secretary-general of the Revolutionary Front for an Independent East Timor (Fretilin) for the second time as the prime minister, the Seventh Constitutional Government of Timor-Leste was finally sworn in on September 15.

September 19, 2017

UCA News - September 19, 2017

Thomas Ora, Dili and Michael Sainsbury, Bangkok – Timor-Leste faces fresh political uncertainty after the youth focused Khunto Party pulled out of a three-way coalition two days before the Sept. 15 inauguration of the cabinet.

The move casts doubt over whether the now-minority government can last a full five year term.

September 18, 2017

The Diplomat - September 18, 2017

Guteriano Neves – After almost two months of intense political theater among the Timorese political elites, the new government was finally sworn in on September 15, 2017 with the new minority government model.

September 15, 2017

The Interpreter - September 15, 2017

Michael Leach – Almost two months since the 22 July election, a new government will be sworn in today in Dili. Fretilin, with 23 seats in parliament, has joined with Democratic Party (PD) which has seven representatives, giving them 30 seats in the 65-seat house.

Agence France Presse - September 15, 2017

East Timor swore in a new government Friday, led by a returning prime minister who experts say will need to wean the country off its reliance on oil revenues and diversify the economy.

Mari Alkatiri, secretary general of the Fretilin party, was inaugurated with 10 members of his 30-person administration at a ceremony in the capital Dili.

September 14, 2017

Reuters - September 14, 2017

Nelson Da Cruz, Dili – East Timor is set to swear in Mari Alkatiri for a second stint as prime minister, the country's president said on Thursday, with Asia's youngest democracy facing stiff challenges to boost a flagging economy heavily reliant on oil and gas.

September 13, 2017

Antara News - September 13, 2017

Jakarta – Indonesia and Timor Leste have been committed to solving their border problem at Noelbesi-Citrana in Kupang district, East Nusa Tenggara province, a senior minister said.

"The dispute persists there. But it does not mean that it cannot be solved," Indonesian Coordinating Minister for Political, Legal and Security Affairs Wiranto said here Tuesday.

September 12, 2017

UCA News - September 12, 2017

Thomas Oro, Dili – Muslim politician Mari Alkatiri, who quit as prime minister 2006 after four years as the mainly Catholic nation's first parliamentary leader after its independence, is set for a dramatic return to lead the government for the next five years.

September 10, 2017

Sydney Morning Herald - September 10, 2017

Paul Malone – The announcement by the Permanent Court of Arbitration last week that Australia and Timor Leste have reached an agreement on maritime boundaries will hopefully bring to an end a shameful episode in Australia's foreign affairs history.

September 5, 2017

The Conversation - September 5, 2017

Donald R. Rothwell – The announcement on the weekend by the Timor Sea Conciliation Commission is the first indication that Australia and Timor Leste are making real progress towards resolving their maritime boundary dispute.

The Interpreter - September 5, 2017

Bec Strating – Last Friday, the Permanent Court of Arbitration (PCA) announced a 'breakthrough' in maritime boundary conciliation proceedings between Timor-Leste and Australia. The two parties 'reached an agreement on the central elements of a maritime boundary delimitation' and on a 'Special Regime' governing the development of Greater Sunrise and the allocation of resulting revenue.

September 4, 2017

Inside Story - September 4, 2017

Michael Leach – In a major joint announcement on Saturday, Timor-Leste and Australia declared they had reached an agreement on "central aspects" of a maritime boundary determination. Since April last year, the two countries have been involved in a Compulsory Conciliation Process under the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea, or UNCLOS, initiated by Timor-Leste.

Crikey - September 4, 2017

Damien Kingsbury – Australia's agreement with East Timor to settle a permanent maritime boundary in the Timor Sea appears to bring to an end a long-running and often bitter dispute, which has marred relations between the two countries.

September 3, 2017

SBS News - September 3, 2017

Analysts have cautiously welcomed a new maritime agreement between Australia and Timor-Leste.

The deal ends a long running row between the two nations that's stalled a multibillion-dollar offshore gas project in the Timor Sea. The details will remain confidential until they are finalised next month.

September 2, 2017

Timor Sea Justice Campaign Media Release - September 2, 2017

In what has been described as a "breakthrough" by the two governments, Australia and East Timor have reached an agreement for the framework of a new treaty that will finally set permanent maritime boundaries between the two countries.

The Timor Sea Justice Campaign's spokesperson, Tom Clarke, welcomed the news but warned it was not yet a done deal.

ABC Radio Australia - September 2, 2017

Jane Norman – Australia and Timor-Leste have resolved their bitter and long-running dispute over maritime boundaries in the Timor Sea, in what is being described as a "landmark day" in the relationship between the two nations.

Sydney Morning Herald - September 2, 2017

Lindsay Murdoch, Bangkok – Australia and East Timor have reached agreement on developing billions of dollars of oil and gas reserves in the Timor Sea, ending years of bitter disagreement.

A deal has been reached on a maritime boundary as well as sharing arrangements for the $US50 billion Greater Sunrise oil and gas field.

September 1, 2017

Australian Associated Press - September 1, 2017

East Timor's new parliament is ready to be sworn in next week but it's still unclear who will be prime minister.

The Fretilin Party narrowly claimed victory at the parliamentary elections in late July and is still in negotiations for the makeup of a coalition government. The talks are expected to continue over the weekend along with the jostling for ministerial positions.

August 31, 2017

Nikkei Asian Review - August 31, 2017

Curtis S. Chin – A decade ago, I traveled to East Timor, also known as Timor-Leste, to look at the condition of roads and other infrastructure in Asia's newest country. I was working with the Asian Development Bank at the time, and returned in 2010 for a follow-up visit.

August 30, 2017

Crikey.com - August 30, 2017

In her new book Crossing the Line Kim McGrath exposes Australia's brutal opportunism towards East Timor, and the atrocities we were willing to condone to serve our national interest.

Timfo - August 30, 2017

Today, the 30th of August, is a bittersweet day for the Timorese. It is the anniversary of the Popular Consultation, the UN sponsored referendum held in 1999 that finally gave the Timorese people a chance to vote for their freedom.

August 26, 2017

Nikkei Asian Review - August 26, 2017

Jun Suzuki, Dili – China is increasing its influence in East Timor as the small Southeast Asian nation's relations with its traditional aid providers weaken.

August 22, 2017

Asian Correspondent - August 22, 2017

Police fired tear gas at hundreds of students protesting against allegedly corrupt government officials at East Timor on Monday, forcing members of Parliament to suspend a scheduled auction of government cars, reports Reuters.

August 21, 2017

Voice of America - August 21, 2017

Dili – Hundreds of students in East Timor clashed on Monday with police who fired tear gas to disperse the crowds protesting against alleged government corruption.

August 20, 2017

Sydney Morning Herald - August 20, 2017

Lindsay Murdoch, Bangkok – The hero of East Timor's independence, Xanana Gusmao, will continue to lead his country's sensitive negotiations over maritime boundaries with Australia despite his party losing office in the July elections.

August 17, 2017

The Interpreter - August 17, 2017

Bec Strating – Amid the celebrations of ASEAN's 50th birthday last week, the question of whether Timor-Leste will soon be granted full membership lingers.

August 16, 2017

UCA News - August 16, 2017

Siktus Harson, Jakarta – Three weeks after its parliamentary election, Asia's most Catholic nation Timor-Leste remains leaderless and could be heading for a minority government.

Fretilin, which won most seats in the July 22 poll, has so far failed to form a government with its former coalition partner – the National Congress for Timorese Reconstruction (CNRT).

August 11, 2017

SBS News - August 11, 2017

A new party in East Timor's parliament has tapped into rising disenfranchisement among the youth and anxiety over the country's economic survival.

The party's founder spent two years in prison after members of his martial arts group became involved in a violent brawl.

Deakin Speaking - August 11, 2017

Damien Kingsbury – Although unlikely to be formalized before 22 August, the shape of Timor-Leste's next government is starting to become clear. It appears that Fretilin, as the 'most voted' party, will form a minority government, probably in alliance with the 'youth' party, KHUNTO. This alliance will give the government 27 seats in the 65 seat parliament.

Independent Australia - August 11, 2017

Adam Henry – Archival documents show the British Government – like Australia and the U.S. – actively assisted Indonesia cover up crimes against humanity in East Timor. Dr Adam Henry reports.

In recent research in the National Archives (UK) regarding the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) and East Timor, three things emerged repeatedly.

August 8, 2017

Inside Story - August 8, 2017

Michael Leach – East Timorese politics remain in a post-election limbo as the parties elected to parliament just over a fortnight ago negotiate to form government.

August 7, 2017

Straits Times - August 7, 2017

Curtis Chin, Ainaro, Timor Leste (The Jakarta Post/Asia News Network) =- Bright blue election boxes and indelibly inked index fingers. These are just some of the vivid colors of democracy that come to mind as I think back to something momentous that just happened in Southeast Asia.

August 5, 2017

East Asia Forum - August 5, 2017

Damien Kingsbury – Timor-Leste came through the 2017 parliamentary elections with a general expectation that the two major parties, CNRT and Fretilin, would continue to dominate the small country's politics and return to the coalition they had since 2015. That coalition gave Timor-Leste stability and promised stability into the future, if at the expense of a viable opposition.

Australian Associated Press - August 5, 2017

Independence leader Xanana Gusmao has resigned as president of his party following their recent election loss, reportedly saying the East Timorese people had lost faith in them.

The National Congress for Timorese Reconstruction (CNRT), headed by the former president and independence leader, lost eight seats in parliament following last month's election.

Melbourne Age - August 5, 2017

Lindsay Murdoch – The hero of East Timor's independence struggle Xanana Gusmao has resigned from the presidency of his party only days after national elections, throwing moves to form a coalition government into disarray.

August 3, 2017

Mainichi Japan - August 3, 2017

Dili, East Timor – The prime minister of East Timor, Rui Maria de Araujo, said the country is "ready to become a member," with regard to the state's aim to join the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), in a recent interview with the Mainichi Shimbun.

August 1, 2017

East Timor and Indonesia Action Network Statement - August 1, 2017

The East Timor and Indonesia Action Network (ETAN) lauded the U.S. House of Representatives for urging a fair resolution to the maritime boundary dispute between Australia and Timor-Leste.

In July, the House noted that a fair and peaceful resolution to the dispute would set a positive example for the resolution of other maritime disputes in the region. (see text below)

July 27, 2017

BTN News - July 27, 2017

There is to be a Hilton Hotels and Resorts-branded hotel in Timor-Leste. Under a management agreement with The Lay Group, Hilton will manage Hilton Dili Palm Springs in the capital city of Dili, the country's main centre of economic activity.

The Hilton Palm Springs will offer convenience to corporate and government travellers with its location in the heart of Dili.

The Interpreter - July 27, 2017

Georgina Downer – For a nation that only won its hard-fought battle for independence 15 years ago, Timor Leste has travelled a long way fast.

July 25, 2017

UCA News - July 25, 2017

Thomas Ora, Dili – Timor-Leste's parliamentary election ended peacefully over the weekend with the fledgling country looking set for five more years of coalition government led by the former resistance movement party, Fretilin, and the National Congress for Timorese Reconstruction Party (CNRT).

The Diplomat - July 25, 2017

Khoo Ying Hooi –- On July 22, 77 percent of Timorese cast their votes in the Timor-Leste's parliamentary election, which was contested by almost two dozen political parties in a country of just about 1.2 million people.

July 24, 2017

The Diplomat - July 24, 2017

Anthony Fensom – Elections in Timor-Leste have highlighted the challenges facing one of Southeast Asia's poorest nations, amid predictions that its key oil and gas resources could be depleted by the end of the decade.

Straits Times - July 24, 2017

Dili (AFP) – Timor Leste is set for another coalition after the two governing parties in Asia's youngest democracy clinched a majority of the votes in a trouble-free contest praised on Monday (July 24) as "remarkable" by observers.

Asia Times - July 24, 2017

David Hutt – Preliminary results from Timor-Leste's general election indicate the two largest political parties, which formed a de facto ruling partnership in 2015, have retained a majority of votes.

The country's 750,000 registered voters, of which a fifth went to the ballot for the first time, turned out on Saturday to select their 65 parliamentary representatives.

The Interpreter - July 24, 2017

Michael Leach – With final votes tallied in the Timor-Leste parliamentary elections overnight, the results in Dili suggest a reframed power-sharing government will emerge, showing some continuity with the previous government but with a different flavour.

July 23, 2017

ABC Radio Australia - July 23, 2017

Felicity James – A Timor-Leste political party with links to martial arts gangs and "disenfranchised young men" will for the first time have seats in the country's new parliament.

Sydney Morning Herald - July 23, 2017

Lindsay Murdoch, Bangkok – East Timor's Fretilin party has opened the way for the formation of a broad-based unity government to rule the tiny nation for the next five years as it led counting of votes in Saturday's national elections.