APSN Banner

East Timor

Displaying 2151-2200 of 9094 Documents

Views Default View  Tile View  List View    Help

June 5, 2015

Bernama - June 5, 2015

Dili (Timur Leste) – Vice Minister for Commerce, Industry and Environment, Constancio Pinto, said on Thursday that he appreciated the support from the Vietnamese Government for Timor-Leste's candidacy for membership in ASEAN.

Speaking to Vietnam News Agency (VNA) in East Timor, he voiced his hope that Timor-Leste would join the bloc in the next two years.

June 3, 2015

ABC Radio Australia - June 3, 2015

Sara Everingham – East Timor is reviving its attempt to nullify a multi-billion-dollar oil and gas treaty with Australia on the grounds Australia spied on Timorese officials during the treaty negotiations in 2004.

Jakarta Post - June 3, 2015

Jakarta – People are living miserably in areas that border with Timor Leste and Australia, the head of the East Nusa Tenggara (NTT) Boundary Agency, Paulus Nasehat, said on Wednesday.

Aside from being faced with poor household economies, access to education and health was also limited, Manehat said in Kupang as reported by Antara news agency.

Jakarta Post - June 3, 2015

Jakarta – Up to 12 regencies with 88 districts in East Nusa Tenggara (NTT) are located in areas bordering Timor Leste and Australia, head of NTT Boundary Agency Paulus Nasehat said Wednesday.

Nasehat explained that five of the 12 regencies that had land borders with Timor Leste were Belu, Malaka, Timor Tengah Utara, Timor Tengah Selatan and Kupang.

Sydney Morning Herald - June 3, 2015

Tom Allard – An espionage operation by Australia's foreign spy service underpins a new bid by East Timor to establish a maritime boundary between the two countries and gain a bigger share of the lucrative Timor Sea oil and gas fields.

May 20, 2015

ABC The Drum - May 20, 2015

Tom Clarke – As the Timorese celebrate their 14th "Restoration of Independence Day" this week, it is once again Australia's self-interest that prevents their long struggle for sovereignty from being complete.

Jakarta Post - May 20, 2015

Djemi Amnifu, Kupang, East Nusa Tenggara – East Nusa Tenggara (NTT) authorities foiled an attempt to smuggle four cars, 27 motorcycles and fuel to Timor Leste on Thursday.

NTT Police spokesman Adj. Comr. Agus Santosa said that the confiscated vehicles and fuel had been secured at the Belu Police headquarters.

May 19, 2015

Jakarta Post - May 19, 2015

Luh De Suriyani, Denpasar – The first state-facilitated reunions of family members long separated from each other are to begin on Monday in Dili and a few other areas outside Timor Leste's capital.

May 18, 2015

Jakarta Post - May 18, 2015

Luh De Suriyani, Denpasar, Bali – The first state-facilitated reunions of family members long separated from each other are scheduled to be held this week in Dili and a few other areas outside Timor Leste's capital.

May 13, 2015

Pacific Media Centre - May 13, 2015

London (Amnesty International/Pacific Media Watch) – Dozens of individuals have been arbitrarily arrested and tortured or otherwise ill-treated by Timor-Leste security forces as part of security operations in the Baucau district. There are ongoing concerns for their safety, says Amnesty International.

May 8, 2015

WA Today - May 8, 2015

Philip Dorling – The Australian and United States governments knew Indonesia was prepared to use napalm against the people of Timor Leste but made no protest, according to secret documents unearthed by an Australian researcher.

Jakarta Post - May 8, 2015

Jakarta – A majority of Timor Leste's population and a sizable proportion of the country's elite have come to terms with the past and look forward to engaging more with Indonesia after the two nations' difficult relationship in the past, says Timor Leste's Defense and Security Minister Julio Tomas Pinto.

May 7, 2015

Jakarta Post - May 7, 2015

Jakarta – Indonesian Military commander Gen. Moeldoko and National Police chief Gen. Badrodin Haiti are scheduled to visit the Indonesian-Timor Leste border in Atambua, Belu regency, East Nusa Tenggara on Thursday.

The visitors want to have a close look at the condition of the border area, Regiment 161/Wirasakti spokesman Maj. Arwan said.

May 4, 2015

ABC News - May 4, 2015

Sara Everingham – Australia has agreed to return documents seized during an Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (ASIO) raid on the office of a lawyer representing East Timor's government in a spying case.

The Guardian (Australia) - May 4, 2015

Daniel Hurst – The Timor-Leste government has praised a decision by the Australian government to return documents about past spying that were at the centre of raids by the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (Asio) in 2013.

April 11, 2015

Dili Weekly - April 11, 2015

Paulina Quintao – The President of Women Parliamentarian Group Timor-Leste (GMPTL) MP Josefa Alvares Pereira Soares urges the VI Constitutional Government to strengthen some existing laws to address the issue of polygamy in the country.

April 10, 2015

Bernama - April 10, 2015

Balqis Jamaludin, Kuala Lumpur – Timor Leste is ready to join the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) anytime, says Ambassador to Malaysia, Jose Antonio Amorim Dias.

April 4, 2015

Jakarta Post - April 4, 2015

Fedina S. Sundaryani, Jakarta – A study conducted by the Education Sector Analytical and Capacity Development Partnership (ACDP) has found that across Indonesia, about one in 10 teachers does not show up to teach.

March 24, 2015

Melbourne Age - March 24, 2015

Angela Macdonald-Smith – Japanese oil and gas producer Inpex Corporation has written down the value of its Kitan oil field in the Timor Sea after the plunge in crude oil prices, signalling the decline in the outlook for one of the few petroleum fields providing revenue for Timor-Leste.

March 21, 2015

Channel News Asia - March 21, 2015

Singapore – Timor Leste's bilateral cooperation with China is increasing and it has been an "important development partner" since the country became independent, but new prime minister Rui Maria de Araujo said he does not see problems of any sort coming up from this.

March 20, 2015

Reuters - March 20, 2015

Singapore – Indonesia's state-owned Pertamina is seeking up to 9,600 kilolitres, or more than 60,000 barrels, of diesel and gasoline for delivery into Timor Leste, a tender document showed on Friday.

March 17, 2015

ABC News - March 17, 2015

Canberra – Timor-Leste's former leader Xanana Gusmao has again warned Australia that his fledgling nation will not back away from a dispute between the two countries over lucrative oil reserves below the Timor Sea.

Sydney Morning Herald - March 17, 2015

Daniel Flitton – East Timor's independence hero Xanana Gusmao has revealed he knew Australia was secretly spying in the tiny nation years before hauling Canberra before the international court for espionage.

March 16, 2015

Australian Associated Press - March 16, 2015

Inequality and poverty and not religion and extremism are the biggest drivers of conflict in fragile countries, East Timor's independence hero warns.

Former prime minister and president Xanana Gusmao believes there are lessons for world leaders to learn from his nation's road to stability that can be applied to current conflicts.

Australian Associated Press - March 16, 2015

East Timor's former leader Xanana Gusmao has attacked Australia for hypocrisy over maritime boundary disputes. The two nations are at loggerheads over plans to develop the Greater Sunrise gas field in the Timor Sea.

March 13, 2015

Australian Associated Press - March 13, 2015

Woodside Petroleum is looking at options to develop the Sunrise liquefied natural gas project but says the East Timorese and Australian governments need to first agree on terms.

West Australian - March 13, 2015

Peter Klinger – The Timor-Leste Government has floated the prospect of buying Woodside Petroleum out of the giant Sunrise gas project, as the fledgling South East Asian gets increasingly impatient at the hold-up to what it hopes will becomes an economy-transforming development.

March 10, 2015

Nikkei Asian Review - March 10, 2015

Simon Roughneen, Dili – Just three weeks into his new job, Rui Araujo, East Timor's new prime minister, faces the daunting task of filling the shoes of a national icon, Xanana Gusmao.

Dili Weekly - March 10, 2015

Estevao Nuno – National Member of Parliament MP Virgilio da Costa Hornai, President of Commission F (for health, education, culture, sports, veteran affairs and gender equality) called for the Ministry of Education (ME) to conduct an urgent assessment to all universities to determine those still using Bahasa Indonesia as the language of instruction.

March 6, 2015

InterPress Service - March 6, 2015

Lyndal Rowlands, United Nations – In Timor-Leste, the gap between rich and poor is most keenly felt by rural women and children. But while women are working hard to help rebuild Timor-Leste, their contributions are not always recognised, in a country where men's narratives still heavily dominate.

March 4, 2015

Reuters - March 4, 2015

Courtney Sherwood – An Oregon woman arrested on a drug charge while traveling in East Timor last September and who has maintained her innocence, has been allowed to leave the country after six months of diplomatic negotiations, US Senator Ron Wyden said on Tuesday.

March 2, 2015

The Diplomat - March 2, 2015

Mong Palatino – East Timor's new prime minister, Dr Rui Maria de Araujo, appealed for unity as a way to build a more inclusive and tolerant society. Araujo became the head of the Sixth Constitutional Government after former Prime Minister Xanana Gusmao resigned last month.

March 1, 2015

WA Today - March 1, 2015

Philip Dorling – A former Australian spy remains under police investigation more than 14 months after ASIO controversially raided his home and triggered international legal action by East Timor that humiliated the Australian government.

February 28, 2015

Pacific Scoop - February 28, 2015

Bob Howarth, Dili – Timor-Leste's media scene has blossomed and grown successfully in 15 years.

I have watched it grow and was lucky enough to be there on February 29, 2000, when the Timor Post printed its first edition... without a printing press.

February 23, 2015

Australian Associated Press - February 23, 2015

Woodside's decision to shelve its Sunrise LNG project has not dented East Timor's desire for the resource to be developed.

Woodside last week walked away from plans to develop the Sunrise gas field off East Timor, citing regulatory and fiscal uncertainty in relation to the five trillion cubic feet resource.

February 20, 2015

Australian Associated Press - February 20, 2015

Kim Christian – East Timor's new prime minister has rejected Woodside Petroleum's plan to process gas offshore, leaving the $17 billion Sunrise project dead in the water.

RUI Maria de Araujo, who was sworn in to the fledgling nation's top job on Monday, has also outlined his unity government's priority to draw new maritime boundaries with Australia.

February 19, 2015

Sydney Morning Herald - February 19, 2015

Daniel Flitton – East Timor's new prime minister has signalled he will negotiate "in an honest and friendly way" with Australia over shared ocean oil and gas fields, declaring his country does not want charity but only to protect its rights.

February 18, 2015

DW - February 18, 2015

Indepedent since 2002, East Timor is one of the world's newest nations. But when it comes to protecting the environment, it has a unique and ancient tradition to draw upon – the practice of tara bandu.

Reuters - February 18, 2015

Melbourne – Woodside Petroleum expressed doubts its Greater Sunrise gas prospect could go ahead this decade, leaving it off a list of growth projects out to 2019 and beyond in its annual results presentation in a bad sign for impoverished East Timor.

February 17, 2015

Agence France Presse - February 17, 2015

Dili – East Timor Monday inaugurated a new prime minister at the head of a unity government, as it seeks to hand power to the next generation of leaders more than a decade after gaining independence.

February 16, 2015

Associated Press - February 16, 2015

Kandhi Barnes, Dili, East Timor – Opposition party member Rui Maria de Araujo was sworn in Monday as East Timor's prime minister, leading a smaller 38-member Cabinet for the half-island nation.

February 13, 2015

Sydney Morning Herald - February 13, 2015

Tom Allard – In the annals of East Timor's extraordinary emergence as a nation state after 500 years of foreign domination, no figure has loomed as large as Xanana Gusmao.

As a young man, he filmed East Timor's declaration of independence from Portugal in 1975, fleeing to the hills nine days later when Indonesia invaded.

February 11, 2015

Timor Sea Justice Campaign Media Release - February 11, 2015

With Dr Rui Araujo expected to be sworn in next week as East Timor's new Prime Minister, Timor Sea Justice Campaigners are calling for Australia to mark the occasion by committing to a fresh approach to negotiations over oil and gas in the Timor Sea.

ABC Radio Australia - February 11, 2015

East Timor's president has chosen former health minister Rui Araujo to be the new prime minister of the country, the government says. Mr Araujo replaces independence hero Xanana Gusmao, who stepped down last week to allow for a younger generation to lead.

Reuters - February 11, 2015

Randy Fabi – East Timor's independence hero and out-going prime minister Xanana Gusmao will stay in the cabinet as investment minister, the government said on Wednesday, raising questions about the independence of the new prime minister.

February 10, 2015

DW - February 10, 2015

After leading East Timor since independence, Xanana Gusmao has resigned as PM, paving the way for a government overhaul. DW examines his life from guerrila fighter to national hero, and the issues facing his successor.

February 9, 2015

ABC Radio Australia - February 9, 2015

East Timor's president Taur Matan Ruak has accepted Xanana Gusmao's resignation as prime minister, leaving the former resistance fighter to wind down his celebrated career.

The former guerilla fighter has served as either president or prime minister since East Timor became independent in 2002, after a long struggle against Indonesian occupation.

Reuters - February 9, 2015

Dili – East Timor's president is expected to decide on a new prime minister by the end of this week after accepting the resignation of independence hero Xanana Gusmao, the government said in a statement on Monday.

Dili Weekly - February 9, 2015

Paulina Quintao – Lack of health posts and housing for doctors is preventing health care from reaching remote rural areas according to Deputy Health Minister Natalia de Araujo.

De Araujo added around 200 sukus out of a total 445 sukus nationwide have access to the health care while the others do not.

Dili Weekly - February 9, 2015

Venidora Oliveira – Members of Parliament have called for protection detail to be available to female justice officials when serving court summons.

Commission F (health, education, culture, veterans' affairs and gender equality) member Eladio Faculto said justice officials needed protection.